A hysterectomy is the surgical removal of the uterus. Removal of the uterus renders the patient unable to bear children (as does removal of ovaries and fallopian tubes) and changes her hormonal levels considerably. This type of surgery is normally recommended for only a few specific circumstances:
- Certain types of reproductive system cancers (uterine, cervical, ovarian) or tumors
- As a prophylactic treatment for those with either a strong family history of reproductive system cancers (especially breast cancer in conjunction with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation) or as part of their recovery from such cancers
- Severe and intractable endometriosis (overgrowth of the uterine lining) and/or adenomyosis (a more severe form of endometriosis, where the uterine lining has grown into and sometimes through the uterine wall) after pharmaceutical and other non-surgical options have been exhausted
- Postpartum to remove either a severe case of placenta praevia (a placenta that has either formed over or inside the birth canal), placenta accreta (a placenta that has grown into and through the wall of the uterus to attach itself to other organs), and as a last resort in case of excessive postpartum bleeding
- For transmen, as part of their gender transition
- For severe developmental disabilities
If you have been told you need a hysterectomy, call us. Our staff is well-trained and experienced in hysterectomies, and we’re here to help.
Celebration Obstetrics and Gynecology
Call Toll Free: (877) 800-0239
TWO LOCATIONS TO SERVE YOU!
410 Celebration Place Suite 208
Celebration, FL 34747
2209 North Blvd, Ste. C
Davenport, FL 33837