Reassuring Facts About the COVID-19 Vaccines
By: Francisco Garcia, MD, FACOG, ACOG Fellow
The coronavirus (COVID-19) has had a devastating toll on our communities. But now we have highly effective tools—approved COVID-19 vaccines—to prevent serious illness and deaths caused by the virus.
- The vaccines are safe, even though they were made quickly. The vaccines came to market quickly, and I know that makes some people nervous. All of the usual steps to make and test vaccines were still included in the process. The technology used in the vaccines had been in development for decades. So, the scientists were not starting from scratch when they made these vaccines.
- The vaccines give you powerful protection against the virus. The vaccines work extremely well to protect people from getting sick or severely ill with COVID-19. Based on current data, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) scientists also believe that the vaccines help protect you from the COVID-19 variants found in this country.
- The vaccines are free and widely available. There are enough vaccines for everyone. All of them are free. They are available for all adults and children age 12 and older, depending on the type of vaccine.
- The vaccines will not make you sick with COVID-19. None of the vaccines contain any living COVID-19 virus. That means it’s not possible for them to make you sick with the virus. Instead, they teach your immune system to spot and fight off COVID-19.
- The vaccines do not affect your fertility. There is a lot of false information out there about the vaccines. One common question to clear up: The COVID-19 vaccines do not cause infertility. The science of how the vaccines is made makes us confident that the vaccines are not a cause of infertility.
To read the FULL article click here.